Friday, September 13, 2013

A Muddy Cup, The Invention of Morel, Adolfo Bioy Casares

morel cover

I had a pretty eerie experience yesterday. "Speed of Sound" has had its share of coincidences, involving the screenplay and actual events, which have seemed more pronounced since the subject matter is a little supernatural. This most recent one happened at my local coffee shop, A Muddy Cup. I had lent the owner, Matt, my copy of Adolfo Bioy Casares' "The Invention of Morel" over a year ago. Its a book that influenced "Speed of Sound" and my other, older copy of it is a pivotal prop in the film. The book is exchanged between Dave and Vincent in a scene shot right outside A Muddy Cup:

SOS morel still

I had forgotten I'd lent my NYRB copy of the book to Matt. And so it was freaky yesterday when he said, "I've got your book finally," and I said, "What book?"

photo-60
photo-61

Above, A Muddy Cup. Where it all happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment